The Olfa (Japan) utility and snap-off blade knives are a great alternative to the traditional utility knife, which can be unnecessarily heavy, bulky, and not as convenient for switching to a fresh blade.
At the core of the utility knives is a strong metal blade channel that’s wrapped in a lightweight nylon body. Choose from the many ergonomic designs and sizes that can hold various blade types for specific cutting.
- Large range of blades – A single utility knife can be converted into multiple cutters with the change of blade type, creating the most user-friendly cutter for your specific needs. This is important for me. I can use the cutter body I have grown accustomed to and am comfortable with. In addition, I was able to reduce the clutter of the standard bulky utility knives by replacing them with small packages of various blade styles, instead.
- Quick and easy blade changes with tool-less design for the entire product range
- Various blade lock devices – (i) Safety auto retract » blade automatically retracts when not in use. (ii) Auto-lock » quick and efficient blade placement. (iii) Ratchet wheel » allows the blade to be placed specifically where you want, and no worries of accidental bumping of sliders(auto-lock) and blade movement.
Varying features across knife models include:
- Stainless steel knives and blades – Wet weather compatible.
- Rubber cushioned handles.
- Ergonomic handles.
- Blade cutting guide.
- Extra length solid blades for deeper cuts.
- Blade storage.
- Auto load.
More Utility Knife Options
Olfa doesn’t limit you to one size fit’s all. The Olfa Heavy-Duty series knives with the 18mm blades offer a much lighter and compact body, while being just as strong and reliable for cutting as a standard utility knife. The smaller 9mm knives that are even more compact and better suited for intricate cutting. Get the larger 25mm knives for extra-heavy duty cutting.
The 9mm knife collection has compact bodies that take up very little space, are relatively inexpensive, and so convenient that I have several of them throughout the house and garage. A minimal investment to always have a sharp edge on hand without wondering all over the house in search of.
A few common cutting tasks comparing the Lenox Gold utility blades vs Olfa Ultra-Sharp Black 18mm snap-blade.
The Olfa 18mm snap-blade knife cut as well, if not better, in all comparisons performed. Yet, OLFA also makes several speciality blade variations to cut these objects even easier.
- Drywall scoring (wallboard)
- EPDM rubber (1/4″)
- Leather (1/8″)
- Plastic Sheathing (6mm)
- Foam Board (up to 2″)
- Rope (up to 1/2″: nylon, polypropylene, manila, synthetic manila)
Safe Blade Disposal
Once the snap-off or solid blades are dull and no longer usable for cutting; OLFA offers several disposal cans to best accommodate your preference. We also wrote about safe disposal of sharp objects that can easily be achieved with many empty food containers.
Standard-Duty (9mm blades)
OLFA describes their 9mm knives as “great for lighter cutting jobs such as packaging, shrink wrap, vinyl, window film, wallpaper, caulking, foam board and other materials.”
In my experience the thin 9mm blade makes stripping objects like inner electrical wire sleeving a little easier than a typical utility knife blade.
- Compact size takes up minimal drawer space, yet the bright yellow bodies are easy to locate.
- 9mm snap-off blade refills have 13 blade segments to allow a fresh cutting blade in seconds without hampering work progress.
- Accepts 9mm Silver Snap-Off blade refills (AB-10B).
- Accepts 9mm Black Ultra-Sharp Snap-Off blade refills with a 25% sharper edge for less cutting resistance (ABB-10B).
- Accepts 9mm Stainless Steel Snap-Off blade refills (AB-10S).
- Accepts 9mm Solid blade for deeper cuts (ASOL/10B).
Heavy-Duty (18mm blades)
OLFA describes their 18mm knives as “ideal for cutting everything from construction materials, including: drywall, linoleum, carpet, flooring materials, insulation, and roofing materials. They feature heavy-gauge blade channels.”
- Bright yellow bodies are easy to locate.
- 18mm snap-off blade refills have 8 blade segments to allow a fresh cutting blade in seconds without hampering work progress.
- Accepts 18mm Silver Snap-Off blade refills (LB-5B).
- Accepts 18mm Black Ultra-Sharp Snap-Off blade refills with a 25% sharper edge for less cutting resistance (LBB-5B).
- Accepts 18mm 18mm Snap-Off Speed blade refills (LFB-10B).
- Accepts 18mm Solid blade for deeper cuts (LSOL-10B).
- Accepts 18mm Solid Serrated insulation blades (LWB-3B).
- Accepts 18mm Snap-Off Hook blades (LH-20B).
Extra Heavy-Duty (25mm blades)
OLFA describes their 25mm knives as “designed to efficiently cut through industrial materials like gaskets, fiberglass, laminates, leather and rope.”
- Bright yellow bodies are easy to locate.
- 25mm snap-off blade refills have 7 blade segments to allow a fresh cutting blade in seconds without hampering work progress.
- Larger blades than ordinary utility knives.
- Accepts 25mm Silver Snap-Off blade refills (HB-5B).
- Accepts 25mm Black Ultra-Sharp Snap-Off blade refills with a 25% sharper edge for less cutting resistance (HBB-20B).