Olfa (Japan) utility and snap-off blade knives are a great alternative to the traditional utility knife, which can be unnecessarily heavy, bulky, and not as convenient for switching to a fresh blade.
At the core of the utility knives is a strong metal blade channel that’s wrapped in a lightweight nylon body. Choose from the many ergonomic designs and sizes that can hold various blade types for specific cutting.
Olfa offers several advantages over the typical utility knife:
- Large range of blades – A single utility knife can be converted into multiple cutters with the change of blade type, creating the most user-friendly cutter for your specific needs. This is important for me. I can use the cutter body I have grown accustomed to and am comfortable with. In addition, I was able to reduce the clutter of the standard bulky utility knives by replacing them with small packages of various blade styles, instead.
- Quick and easy blade changes with tool-less design for the entire product range
- Various blade lock devices – (i) Safety auto retract » blade automatically retracts when not in use. (ii) Auto-lock » quick and efficient blade placement. (iii) Ratchet wheel » allows the blade to be placed specifically where you want, and no worries of accidental bumping of sliders(auto-lock) and blade movement.
Varying features across knife models include:
- Stainless steel knives and blades – Wet weather compatible.
- Rubber cushioned handles.
- Ergonomic handles.
- Blade cutting guide.
- Extra length solid blades for deeper cuts.
- Blade storage.
- Auto load.
Olfa doesn’t limit you to one size fit’s all.
The Olfa Heavy-Duty series knives with the 18mm blades offer a much lighter and compact body, while being just as strong and reliable for cutting as a standard utility knife. Yet you have the smaller 9mm knives that are even more compact and better suited for intricate cutting, and the larger 25mm knives for extra-heavy duty cutting.
The 9mm knife collection has compact bodies that take up very little space, are relatively inexpensive, and so convenient that I have several of them throughout the house and garage. A minimal investment to always have a sharp edge on hand without wondering all over the house in search of.
Lenox Gold Utility blades vs Olfa Ultra-Sharp Black 18mm Snap-blade:
The Olfa 18mm snap-blade knife cut as well, if not better, in all comparisons performed. Yet, OLFA also makes speciality blade variations to cut many of these objects even easier.
- Drywall scoring (wallboard)
- EPDM rubber (1/4″)
- Leather (1/8″)
- Plastic Sheathing (6mm)
- Foam Board (up to 2″)
- Rope (up to 1/2″: nylon, polypropylene, manila, synthetic manila)
How to safely dispose of OLFA blades?
All products listed in this buying guide were chosen by DIY House Help based on independent research and analysis performed by our editors. However, not all products listed in this buying guide have been purchased and independently tested by our staff. When a retailer is listed, this is purely a suggestion for the convenience of our readers, but we are not obligated to endorse specific retailers. However, some of the links we provide throughout the site may earn us an affiliate commission when you decide to purchase.