The Bosch 12V MAX I-Drive has been my go-to driver for many years. This driver performs as advertised…if not a little better.
When wanting to accomplish light to medium duty projects: the low rpms, low torque, and 7 position clutch make the driver very easy to control and avoids over-driving a screw.
If you intend to do: extensive framing, major deck work, or hard material drilling, you will have to consider another tool for your budget. Otherwise, the Bosch I-driver can handle just about any other job.
For both homeowners and professionals wanting a very versatile all-in-one tool, this driver will meet your demands.
Bosch 12V MAX I-Driver Specs:
- Battery – Lithium Ion
- Battery Voltage – 12V
- Chuck Size – 1/4″ in Hex
- No Load RPM – 0-600
- Torque (in lbs.) – 80
- Weight – 2.2lb
The Bosch 12V MAX I-Driver has a lot to like:
I use this I-Driver for many automotive and home projects. From removing fasteners of a cars belly pan to change oil, to hanging a door, and everything in-between. The uses are endless!
- Very versatile.
- Lightweight (2.2lbs).
- Compact – 11.5″ with head positioned inline with body. Head is only 3-5/8″ wide when positioned at 90-degree.
- 90-Degree articulating head – rotates and locks into five positions for increased versatility.
- Low torque, rpms, and slow clutch engagement = very controlled power.
- Solid battery life
- Reliable – For personal home use, this drill should hopefully last you many years, as it has for me.
- Economical when considering all the uses.
- 1/4″ quick change hex locking chuck that can be used for driver bits and hex based drill bits.
What isn’t so great about the Bosch 12V MAX I-Driver:
- Low torque, rpms, and slow clutch engagement – Not the tool for heavier duty projects that require large hardware to be used, or frequent drilling.
- The metal wire storage hanger tends to flop around and get in the way. It can easily be removed if not needed.
- The rotating chuck / head has some play in it. This is a non issue for the most part, but if fitting a 1/4″ hex base drill chuck, the loose tolerances may make precise drilling challenging.
My experience with the Bosch 12V MAX I-Driver…
Tests performed on dry pine found that the Bosch PS210-2A can handle the following on a full battery charge without the tool laboring and having the clutch kick out.
**Dry-soft lumber is key to the capabilities listed. Wet wood or hardwood of any kind highlights the low torque (80 in. lbs.) immediately, and will have you looking for a more powerful driver.
- Bosch states their I-Driver “drives 100 3 In. screws per battery charge”. When using common #10 – 3″ long framing screws, we found this statement to be true enough. Results will vary based on overall life of battery and materials used.
- Need to drill a few holes? Using a 1/4″ wood bit; drilling several dozen 3″ deep holes in dry pine lumber is easily achievable. Smaller diameter drill bits will allow even more use per battery charge.
- Hit a knot in the wood and the I-Driver will be stopped dead in it’s tracks when driving #10 framing screws.
- Even a small 3/8″ spade bit will quickly be halted. You’re limited to 1/4″ and smaller drill bits.
The above tests were done using the most extreme uses for a drill driver of this type. There are dozens of much lighter duty projects where the I-Driver shines regularly, and all those many light-duty projects are what this tool should be considered for.
As I mentioned in my opening statement, this is “my go-to driver”, but sitting in the background is a Bosch HD21-2 for the heavy-duty work. Depending on your needs, you may have to consider 2 or more drill/drivers as well.
All products listed in this buying guide were chosen by DIY House Help based on independent research and analysis performed by our editors. Products were purchased at retail locations and not provided by manufacturers as sponsorship. When a retailer is listed, this is purely a suggestion for the convenience of our readers, but we are not obligated to endorse specific retailers. However, some of the links we provide throughout the site may earn us an affiliate commission when you decide to purchase.