A common, but maybe not highly recognized part of a home is the door stop or door bumper. These are simple devices to protect walls from door knob damage. Existing homes are most likely already fitted with stops, so a simple retrofit should be an easy task. If not, then adding them for the first time is not that much more difficult.
Brands of Door Stops
Acorn Mfg. | Alno Inc. | Baldwin Hardware | Blomus | Cool Lines | Deltana | Design House | Empire Industries | Emtek | Fusion Group | FSB | Hamilton Sinkler | Harney Hardware | Haus | idh by St. Simons | Inox | Ives | JVJ Hardware | Lauréy | LB Brass | Linnea | Myterra Gems | Nameeks | Omnia Industries
Baseboard Wall Bumper
The baseboard wall bumper door stop is the most common style used in a residential application. These door stops are are considered wall mount, but don’t confuse them with the wall bumper design, where a rubber bumper is installed at the height of the door handle/knob. These door stops range from the cheap spring styles with a nylon tip that can be found at any home improvement store…to solid brass construction that offer various colored rubber tips as an option.
- Some baseboard wall stops will have a wood screw attached to the base. You will most likely need a drill and drill bit to create a pilot hole, especially if no existing stop resides. (a) The doorstop installs via a tip mounted flat head screw design which can be exposed by removing the rubber or vinyl push on tip. (b) There may also be a hex section of the body, whether full body design or part of the body to attach a wrench.
- The spring styles have a simple base plate and separate screw that install on the wall first. (a) Some models have you turn the spring section into the hole of the baseplate. (b) Some models are designed to pressure fit over an o-ring attached to a small stem of the baseplate.
Hinge Pin Door Stop
These are very common as an alternative where there is no wall to mount a doorstop. Examples can be: having to stop the door well short of where a baseboard mount would normally suffice, the door opens into a shower door or tub, you want a more hidden stop opposed to the stem protruding off the baseboard. Note: The hinge mounts are not nearly as strong and durable as the solid stem base board stops. Pushing on a door, too hard, can lead to damage.
- Example shown is the Deltana HPA69 model. This is one of many brands listed above that has solid construction, and the soft rubber bumpers absorb shock instead of leaving impressions in door trim. I have seen cheaper models: break at the body, stop tips snap off, and plastic tips leave mars in the door trim.
- Steel hinges will require removing the one piece hinge pin. This can be done by hand, or using a hammer and properly sized pin punch like Dasco Pro or Enders Tools; both of which can be found at your local home improvement store (a screwdriver or torx head works as a substitute as well). (i) From the bottom, tap up, and out. (i) Re-attach the hinge pin through the hinge stop first, and then back into the hinge as originally installed.
- Brass hinges will have end caps (top and bottom) that are threaded on and should be able to be removed with your fingertips. Note: There is no pin to be removed. To fit the hinge pin stop, an extension will need to be purchased. Note: Baldwin is a special brass hinge where only one type of hinge pin stop will work. This style does need the pin to be removed; which is very difficult, as the pin is pressure fitted in very tightly; unlike steel hinges. I recommend trying to buy the hinge stop locally, and have them do the swap, if they have an in-house shop.
Floor Door Stop
- This is an expensive alternative, but does have it’s purpose in certain circumstances. (a) If you prefer a contemporary design, Blomus may fill the need with their weighted floor door stops and door chocks. (b) A more rural look can be addressed by Haus with their monkeys fist door stop. Both brands are European based but can be bought in America via several online retailers. (c) There are also several options of heavy ornamental bronze or iron statues, decorative figurines, etc. that are sold as door stops. Any heavy object can be substituted as well. Refer to Design Toscano as an example. (i) These weighted door stops can also be used to prop a door open. Very useful in the warmer months where doors and windows are open, and drafts can slam doors shut.