Technology intends to make life more convenient, but we don’t live in a perfect world. The latest keyless entry effort from Lockitron, is the Bolt, and hopes to improve on past experience.
I remember the initial launch of the Crowdfunded Lockitron, and being an admirer of technology, I was intrigued. I had every intention to get my hands on one of their products, but the fact is we personally never use our main entry door. Pulling into the garage, then using that entry door, is our main point of access. So, this was one of those gadgets that faded, as I focused on other products and projects.
Fast forward, doing material research, and Lockitron came to mind again. Seems Lockitron has had it’s ups and downs since inception, but they’re still in the game, that’s always a positive sign, along with delivering and even better keyless entry system at a cheaper price. The Lockitron Bolt seems to have several advantages over the original design, which can be found here.
From appearance and specs, the Bolt seems like several big steps in the right direction. There seems to be a lot of information to sort through as the company transitions from the original design to the Bolt.
Some important details include:
- Lockitron Bolt is a full replacement deadbolt and requires no additional lock components to install on your door.
- Lockitron’s Key Match™ functionality allows you to keep your current key even though Lockitron Bolt is a full replacement lock.
- Lockitron is compatible with most through-hole / cylindrical deadbolts. If you have a decorative backplate (“escutcheon”) or interconnected handle and deadbolt, you will need to replace the interconnected lock with an independent handle.
- Currently we do not offer a Lockitron solution for mortise locks.
- Currently we do not offer a Lockitron solution for rim deadbolts
- Currently compatible with iOS and Android users only for the App.
- any smartphone can control Lockitron through our mobile website.
- If you have an iOS device (iPhone 6s/Plus, 6/Plus, 5, 4S, iPad 3/4, or iPod Touch 5th generation) or an Android 4.4+ device with Bluetooth 4.0 you can enable Lockitron to Sense when you walk up to the door and unlock it for you.
- Lockitron is compatible with a number of smartwatches thanks to community integrations for Pebble and Android Wear as well as direct compatibility with Apple Watch.
- Lockitron Bridge is an optional accessory that connects Lockitron Bolt to the web, giving you the ability to control Lockitron remotely.
This latest offering from Lockitron looks even more promising than the first design. We hope it works out. I can definitely see a large population benefiting from their keyless entry system.