Complete details on how to remove recessed light trim and re0install for most 5″ & 6″ recessed light trim rings. Removal will allow: cleaning, ceiling painting, bulb replacement, bulb adjustment or trim replacement. Additionally we’ll show the various methods for adjusting lamp height and switching between different trim covers.
NOTE: The previous installer may have broken a mount, rod, or lost a spring, and chose to adhere the defective recessed light trim to the ceiling for installation. Removal of trim in this instance will cause ceiling damage, resulting in repair, and the need for a new trim piece.
Recessed Lighting Brands
- Capri Lighting (Philips)
- Thomas Lighting (Philips)
- Cooper Lighting (Halo)
- Progress Lighting
- Juno Lighting
- Lithonia Lighting
- Nicor Lighting
- Eurofase Lighting
- WAC Lighting
Bulb / Lamp Brands
For assistance on lamps, bulb alternatives, etc., please refer to the following lighting manufacturers.
Recessed Light Housing and Bulb Information
- Bulb / Lamp Industry Changes – Federal regulations have…and will continue to phase out certain types of bulbs that may be listed on older model light housings. GE Lighting (for an example) has a guideline for alternative replacements.
- PAR w/ L or LN in Bulb # – The L or LN stands for long neck. There is also a short neck version that won’t work with certain trims.
- Insulated Ceiling (IC) – IC listed housings are designed to be fully wrapped with insulation without fear of a fire being created.
- Terms like Air-Tite®, Air-Loc®, etc., which vary per manufacturer, prevent air movement and are also used for wet locations.
Replacement Recessed Lighting Parts and Trim
Contact your local lighting and electrical supply stores for available recessed light trim and replacement parts. Many will have a parts department for the items needed. Torsion (butterfly) springs are mounted to the trim piece and are not replaceable for all makes and models. The recessed light trim coil springs however are always a separate item. Home Depot stocks Halo brand trim springs.