NuTone door chime and transformer FAQ…
- Can a two-note chime be replaced by a 4- or 8-note chime?
- May two-chimes be on the same pushbutton?
- What can be done for a two (2) note chime that does not ring loud enough?
- What is occurring if the chime rings by itself?
Doorbell specific low-voltage wiring – 18/2 or 20/2 – can be purchased at any local home improvement store.
ELECTRICAL HAZARD: Turn off all power at breaker panel or fuse box before working to avoid electrical shock.
Learn how to properly secure low voltage doorbell wires to avoid component malfunctions – read article.
Single Button Doorbell Wiring Instructions
- For single button activation, a common transformer is the NuTone C905 (see below). Rating = 16VAC, 10VA (watts).
- Neither door buttons nor transformer are polarity specific, unless otherwise noted in manufacturer’s instructions. Either terminal can be mounted to the white or red wire (typical wire colors).
Double Button Doorbell Wiring Instructions
- Diagram for FRONT and REAR door buttons.
- Use NuTone C907 transformer. Rating = 16VAC, 30VA (watts). Extra watts = extra power = adequate chime sound, when longer runs of wire on two button applications is typical.
- Neither door buttons nor transformer are polarity specific, unless otherwise noted in manufacturers instructions. Either terminal can be mounted to the white or red wire (typcial wire colors).
What’s a Transformer and its Purpose for Doorbell Installation?
A wired doorbell needs power to operate, but the 120VAC from the electrical box is too powerful and un-needed for the application. A transformer steps the 120VAC voltage down to 16-20-24 volts to be compatible with doorbell components voltage ratings.
A transformer can be located inside the bell or chime enclosure, mounted to a junction box as a separate unit, or fit into a single gang box like a switch, e.g. NuTone C915.
Junction Box Mounting (as shown): The transformer will have males threads and a nut; allowing the transformer to mount via one of the junction box knockouts. Power will be delivered from the 120v wires inside the box; connecting to the pigtail wires pre-attached to the doorbell transformer.
*Further specific instructions will be included in product packaging.